The Borneo Trip Begins

Kota Kinabalu, March 29th 2011

 This is a trip that started from free-seat-tickets I and Dina won from Air Asia almost a year ago. We booked for Jakarta - Kinabalu return and Kinabalu - Sandakan return. As I've written already in previous post, it was a pretty frustrating thing when on February 8th 2011, I received an announcement from Air Asia that our Kinabalu - Jakarta flight is canceled. Air Asia's only solution for us at that time was only by revising our route into Jakarta - Kinabalu - Sandakan - Kuala Lumpur - Jakarta free of charge.

When I visited Kuala Lumpur on a solo trip in February 19-20th, I bought some books including this map of Sabah and Sabah Pocket Guide. These have been an excellent support in drawing our trip itinerary.

We arrived in Kota Kinabalu at approximately 8 PM  by QZ7676. Kota Kinabalu Airport is tiny compared to LCCT in KL. But, it's clean. And, unlike my Soekarno-Hatta Airport, the signs on the baggage conveyor are correct. The signs aren't misleading like the signs at Soekarno-Hatta Airport baggage claim area.

After checking in Crown Borneo Hotel, we took a walk. It was drizzling. I didn't bring my tripod with me, but still attempted to make a shot. This is not exactly in front of our hotel, but I suspect there must be something about a crown in Kota Kinabalu.

You know what, I wish to return to Kota Kinabalu and make another shot here using a tripod with a slower speed. I would like to know what the shot would look like. Hopefully the weather would be fine by that time so that I won't need to make a in-a-hurried shot because of fear of rainwater entering my lens.

 We found a big food court with most of the part under open air. Ah, if only it weren't raining. Here, you can find Thai food, Indonesian food, Chinese food... (no Vietnamese food :P) Surprisingly, I found several burger stalls. That made me curious. So we settled down on this:

A super duper huge burger, about the size of a large pan pizza, but of course thicker. One whole round burger was cut into 6 slices. I ate 3 slices, Dina ate 2, and we said good bye to the other one.

What I like best about this Malayan "fat burger" is the bread. It's so soft. Second, I like the sauce. It has a unique blend of taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment