Penang and Me

Penang, August 26th 2011

Honestly, Penang itself wasn't my purpose. It was the train. Then, knowing that Penang had a Butterfly Farm, I underlined Penang on my list. I added the ancient buildings of Penang to my itinerary. Plus, the bridge that crosses over from Butterworth to Penang Island. Yes, I didn't come to Penang for food.
However, the weather turned out not to be truly on my side. I couldn't get the sun shine create golden light and shadows on my pictures. In short, I couldn't use light to draw.

Through Orix, I rented a car and hired a driver while in Penang. Mr. Selvam Veeran, an Indian gentleman, was kind and helpful. He, I acknowledge, has contributed a big deal in making my trip in Penang worthwhile, regardless of the weather. If you are curious about the details, click this.
 
After visiting the Butterfly Farm, actually I fancied having lunch at Batu Ferringhi, but due the fasting month, no restaurants by the beach were opened. At last Mr. Selvam brought me to an Indian Cafe (looked more like a restaurant), Enca.

 I treated myself with Cheese Garlic Naan (6 RM) which was damn delicious! The waiters were also friendly.

For drink, I ordered apple juice (4 RM). Pure apple. No added sugar, no ice.

Picking up reference from my Penang Insight Pocket Guide, I dropped by at Yahong Art Gallery. Mr. Selvam must be surprised I took the least time here. I am not saying it was bad. It was just not my type of art.

Another reference mentioned OE Diamond Jewel Factory. Mr. Selvam gave me a total approval, making me feel that I had chosen a right thing to do.

 The factory was guarded with high security. But Mr. Selvam, whom I actually hired only as a driver, arranged everything with the security guards. I need not to say even a word. The doors opened, layer by layer. A lady staff appeared and ushered me around.

Unfortunately but not unexpectedly, I wasn't allowed to take any picture. For the first time in life, I learnt how diamond rings are molded. The ring mold looked like a small Christmas tree with branches sprouting outward to all sides. Every end of branch had a different shape. It's like a tree with different patterns of leafs.

Due to the Ramadhan Holiday, the workers were already off work. Therefore I couldn't witness them working. I wasn't the only guest. There was a big group of Westerner tourists. They were browsing the diamond jewelries displayed for sale. It was a bit crowded.

Suddenly the lady staff who had explained to me the history of OE and ushered me around, came to my side. She said, "Can I opened the door for you now?"

Next, I required to be taken to Fort Cornwallis. I had thought that the evening light would fall gorgeously on the fort. Nevertheless , the sky turned into perfect grey by the time we arrived on the sight.

The dull sky made me totally loose interest on the fort. It felt kind of depressing visiting a fort which brings one's mind to war time, under such a cloudy sky.

So, I got off the car but strolled along the park in front of the park. It was more soothing. I watched this man from behind. He seemed to be in much peace. I like that.

This building is opposite to Fort Cornwallis. The word "Paramoun" (without "t") is interesting to me. It reminds me of the late President Soeharto's era when "Diamond Supermarket" had to change all their signs and logos into "Diamon" (without "d" at the end).

This was at the other side of the park. It's the Chinese Chamber of Commerce. Built in 1928?

This, a billboard I spotted on my way to the butterfly farm. "Hak milik kekal". To Indonesian understanding, it would give the impression that this property can be owned even in the next life.


Penang, August 27th 2011

 I woke up to the drizzle ticking on my glass window. I opened wide the window and made a shot. Good morning again, Penang! On a brighter day the mountains on the background would have been grandeur.

On the way back to Butterworth Station, Mr. Selvam let me stopped here and take pictures. This is the Penang Bridge that crosses over until Butterworth. Nevertheless, the sky was dull and it was drizzling. I was far from getting a picture of the bridge like I had dreamt to get.

Will I come back to Penang to chase that dream? After feeling tricked by Sunway Georgetown Hotel regarding to the collect call I had tried to make, it becomes hard for me to describe my feelings about Penang in just a few words.

"But bad people are anywhere," Mr. Selvam said to me in the car. I know he was trying to tell me that it's not Penang that is bad; It's just that I happened to meet some unkind people in Penang. I know he was trying to tell me not to judge Penang just because of the staffs at Sunway Georgetown Hotel. He is right.


I continued my adventure from this strait of Malacca to the Gulf of Thailand on a quest to cross over 5 countries in Southeast Asia. Get my story here.


No comments:

Post a Comment