The Wrong Decision

Kuala Lumpur, December 27th 2010

Buying a Hop-On Hop-Off ticket for this day was a totally wrong decision. My math was terrible. I should have calculated that on the account of having only half a day because we would have to catch a flight to Saigon, it would be much, much, much cheaper if we had just taken a subway. How much cheaper, it is 32 RM vs less than 5 RM! Hah, it seems that in this time's trip I had made mistakes I have never made, and never thought I would. As mentioned in previous post, I misdeleted unsaved photos. Now, I made a terrible cost calculation. Knowing that it was my decision, the worse I feel.

Well, I did have a slight idea of going somewhere else from Aquaria. But, having to wait for the bus for almost an hour in front of Mandarin Hotel on the way back spared us time only enough to return to the hotel to get our luggage and run, yes run, back to KL Sentral bus station to catch the bus to the airport.



Being totally worn out the day before, my finger automatically turned off my alarm clock when it rang at 7:00 AM. I slept in until 8:00 AM. On consideration of Wiwik and Gabe's time, I told Wiwik to go ahead and we would meet at Aquaria.

A shower brought me a clearer mind. Suddenly, ah... instead of taking a long route on Hop-On Hop-Off and thus shorten the time to be in Aquaria, I can take a subway, can't I? I finished the bread I bought the night before, packed all my things, went to the lobby to leave my backpack, and rushed to KL Sentral Station.

Correct. There was a subway directly to KLCC. By the exit gate in KLCC Subway Station I asked a man in uniform which way was Aquaria. I asked him in Indonesian. He looked at me closely and then gestured towards the alley. "Follow and go left," he explained in Malayan and in away as if I was asking where the sun rises.

I found myself inside Suria KLCC. Now, I asked a lady. It's very easy, she said in Malayan. Go straight, turn right when you see a "pohon Christmas", and follow the sign. I just wondered how would she give direction if it weren't during Christmas season.

Sure enough there were big signs written with "KLCC Aquaria". Finally, I entered Aquaria at about a quarter to eleven and made my first shot at eleven sharp. Similar to the previous day in KL Bird Park, shooting was challenged by little guests a.k.a. kids. But this time it's tougher, because the light is extremely low and the use of flash is prohibited. Moreover, the use of a CP Lens did not really move the reflections from the aquarium glass. Thus, having a moment of clear vision was rare. The worst thing was when a granny pushed her grandson between my lens and the glass. She was going to take a picture of her grandson with a water rat. I had no choice but to stop aiming at the rat, because the rat's face in my view finder has transformed into a grandson's face. Aaargh.

Let me tell you. This water rat looked much, much cuter in reality than in a photo. I especially loved it when the rat scratched its head with its short hands. It's a pity I couldn't get that moment.

Some guests still used their flash to capture this dear rat. Every now and then a lady attendant would approach a guest to tell him or her to turn off the camera flash. Same thing it was with the otters. Once I saw the lady attendant rushed from the water rat's section to the otter's. A kid was trying to enter the otter's glass cage! I can imagine what a stressful day it must have been for the attendants. How nice would it be when they could finally sit back, close their eyes, and not care for anything.

I was rather irritated when I was attempting to take this fish's picture. A man next to me held his daughter's hand and dipped it into the touch pool. Shocked, she quickly pulled her hands out which sent splashes of water on my lens. Aaargh, again.

But before I could figure out how to make a disliking face, an attendant was already at this man's back. With a tap on his back, he seemed to understand immediately he was wrong. He took his daughter away. Clear. Now, shoot.

I was interested in this fish not because I thought it was cute, but because it reminded me of the sheet used to wrap "lumpia", a Chinese-Indonesian delicacy, something like spring roll.

This, looks like a spaceship, to me.

This one I captured inside the water tunnel which was rather disappointing for me as it wasn't as long and diverse as I had imagined.

It's the first time I get an intense look on a shark's teeth. How each tooth has a bending form shows that they are indeed designed to tear something appart.

Who says fish don't have horns?
Who says fish don't have feathers?
Beautifully dressed and yet, looking unhappy, huh?
Chambered nautilus. But I call this, "Fish Roll" :))
Quoted from KL Aquaria's website:
This unique 5.3 metre high Flooded Forest Tube tank enchants visitors with aquatic exhibits that leisurely swim within the water column up
to the treetops.

Seahorse. One of my favorite sea creatures. When I saw them swim, I thought of a pregnant woman. Yes, indeed, it turned out that this kind of seahorse is called "potbelly seahorse".
 
I was fully aware that I was walking towards the exit direction. But, I thought, as long as I don't exit the gate, I would be able to turn back anywhere. And... taking the escalator down, was the other total wrong decision I made! There was no escalator back up. If I wanted to enter again, I would have to go to the entrance and of course buy a ticket again. Grrr...! I am not satisfied with my shots yet. I don't think I had done my best. I still wanted to admire the fishes and learn about some. I still... ah!

No comments:

Post a Comment