Rewinding KL: AQUARIA

Kuala Lumpur, February 19th 2011

It's rather frustrating that taxi fares in KL Bird Park are very expensive compared to the regular fare. I thought that if don't order from the taxi counter, I would get a better price. So I went out to the street. But it turned out to be the same. From KL Bird Park to KL Sentral: 15 ringgits!! Well, so be it... for the love of KL.

From KL Sentral I took a subway to KLCC. My second time now in KL Aquaria. The first time I wasn't satisfied with my pics of the adorable water rat. It was end of December at that time. Everyone was on holiday. Everyone wanted to have a picture with the water rat. Everyone stood in front of water rat's aquarium. Shooting in low light condition without the use of flash (because prohibited) was one thing. But struggling to get a clear view of the water rat was another. So here I come for the second time.

I was right in time for the feeding-time of the water rat. It was rather crowded probably because it was Saturday, but it wasn't packed up like last December.

Everyone cheered when the rat in this pic jumped and tapped with his front feet asking for more.
This is about the water rat. The maximum size is 35 cm and can weigh up to 7.3 kg. Diet, it says, sugarcane, corn, and rice.

But these looked like long beans.

Water rat gobbled one piece after another with excellent appetite. Oh, if only I could cuddle this cutie in my arms...!

Besides long beans, cabbage was also on the menu that evening.

Anyway, whether it's corn or long bean or cabbage or carrot, water rat says that they are vegetarian. I just wonder whether they like to eat soap too like house rats?

When I read this, I said to myself, "Ah... being a vegetarian is not a guarantee to become slim. Just look at water rat!"

I like the part which says: We eat almost 25% of our weight daily, but do you think we are fat?

I think matters most is not what you eat, but how much you eat. Don't you think so?
My next favorite: the otter. It was also feeding time also. However I hardly could get good pictures of it, because the location was tougher. Their ground was about at about my eye level. So at times I had to tiptoe to shoot them. Of course kids can just be carried up and stand on the stone bar in front of their aquarium. Their ground was also more spacious than the water rat's. Hence they ran vigorously here and there making it tough for me to focus my lens.

I never succeeded capturing the otter jump over the ring rope. However, I did enjoy seeing this boy being so excited. I'm often amazed how kids (in general) can be so happy just because of simple things. If only adults can always have such an attitude, we would always stay young!

Unlike the water rats, otters aren't vegetarian.
They were fed with chunks of fish.
Hmmm... that looks yummy, indeed!
This "coatimundi". "Coatimundi" means "Lone Mundi", because these animals are solitary animals. It is also said that their nose can rotate up to 60 degrees. I didn't notice that. What fascinated me was their extra long tail. It seems that the tail is longer than their body.

It also seemed to take extra care of its tail. Just like a woman takes care of her long hair.

Testing the nose, huh? Or balancing the nose? ;-)

Ah, last time I couldn't get a good shot of this unique sea horse, and neither could I this time.
Like proboscis monkeys, the males of these sea horse have a bigger belly than the females.

The Chambered nautilus again.
My fish roll :))

No comments:

Post a Comment