Chinatown in the City

Kuala Lumpur, April 3rd 2011

With our stomach filled full, we headed to KL Sentral Station which was just across the street. Our destination of the day: China Town et cetera.

We took a subway to just the next station: Pasar Seni. Ah, staying at KL Sentral is really convenient.

 Before we got on the subway, my eyes caught sight of this advertisement. This photo exactly conveys my impression about Kuala Lumpur: "A City in Diversity". Look! The patient has a Chinese look. The doctor looks Indian, and the nurse looks Malayan.

Right across the Pasar Seni Station was this Central Market. Here you can find various handcraft and souvenirs from all over Malaysia. Although I wasn't in Sabah anymore, I bought Sabah tea and Sabah tea-biscuits here. During all the days before we never thought of buying souvenirs. But that didn't matter at all for we had plenty of choices in Central Market.

Occasionally Central Market holds performances. You can check out the schedule here


When we had our breakfast in that Indian restaurant, we seemed already late for breakfast. Guests were about to finish their meal when we just had ordered ours. And then the waiters started to clear up the tables and chairs on the sidewalk while we were still savoring our breakfast.

On the contrary, when we arrived at Central Market, we seemed too early. As you can see in this picture, the vendor's counters aren't opened yet.

 Okaylah, just take a picture first-lah.

Wow! I didn't know that "Es Teler 77" has gone international. And that sign under "REST ORAN", was it a mistake or was it done by purpose to initiate that this is a place where one can 'rest'?

  Very old and mossy. Reminds me of "Kota Tua" in Jakarta.

I found it interesting that florists here don't only sell flowers, but also bouquets of cute dolls. From far I thought they were all flowers.

  Next to Central Market is Chinatown. Unlike Kasturi Walk, Chinatown was wide awake -- and busy.

 It was as if entering a different world...

 Is this his breakfast or lunch?? Was I too late that he was already having his lunch while I just already had my breakfast? Or was he too busy putting up his goods in the morning that didn't have time for breakfast until now?

I've just learned that "dendeng" in English is "meat bun". Do you think it looks like a bun? I don't.

  Looks interesting... but the history of this snack is all written in Chinese. Ah ya... this is Chinatown. I know.

Another old and mossy building.

  I didn't go inside. I was just amazed by the sign on top which says "Nagoya Textile and Fashion". Do they mean Japan's Nagoya? Why Nagoya? Why not Shinjuku, for instance. I didn't know that Nagoya is famous for its fashion.

 On 2nd floor of Central Market there is a big food court. One of the counters was this. Aneka Penyet. Hahaha... that sounds funny. And then "truly indonesia". Hahaha... again. Do they mean something "truly Indonesia in truly Asia"? :P

 LUNCH! Spell it out loud!

 This is mine. Sizzling Yee Mee. 5.8 RM. Looks good, doesn't it? Yes, it was!

 And, my drink: Soya Cincau, 2.5 RM.

I wonder where in Jakarta can I get such a drink. Cincau with soya, not with coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment