Meet the Twins

Kuala Lumpur, May 11  2010

From LCCT (Low Cost Carrier Terminal) I took a skybus to KLC (Kuala Lumpur Centre) which I had already booked along with my Air Asia ticket. My skybus left Platform 3 at 3:30 PM. Thanks to a fellow member in Jejak Kaki mailing list group, he taught me how to get to Tune Hotel Downtown Kuala Lumpur. I copied his post and carried it in my handbag. From KLC I took a monorail and got off on Medan Tuanku. I asked the ticket lady where Tune Hotel was, but she just pointed to a direction with her finger. It was actually close, but not as close as I had imagine. It was 5:00 PM when I entered the hotel.

I stayed inside the room only for about 5 minutes just to go to the toilet and put on some make up. I asked the front desk guy how to get to Petronas Twin Towers. He explained and gave me a map. It did not seem too complicated and off I went.

I wondered why the traffic in front of Tune Hotel did not seem as neat as it seemed when I had just come. Then I realized that the traffic light was out of order. Some policemen stood  in the middle of the street to direct the traffic. Oh... I thought traffic lights get jammed only in Jakarta :P

From Medan Tuanku I got on a monorail just to the next station, Bukit Nanas. And then I crossed the road and took a subway from Dang Wangi Station to KLCC (Kuala Lumpur City Centre).

I often got mixed up between "LCCT", "KLC", and "KLCC".

As I stepped out of the subway, the smell of coffee greeted me. It reminded me of Japan. The smell of coffee at the station is for me like a welcome greeting. Especially during winter days.

I stood in front of Petronas Twin Towers half mouth opened. Being that close, it didn't look like the photographs I had seen. I walked around to find the entrance gate and spotted a huge announcement which said that visitor entrance is closed at 5:00 PM.

So ... I decided to enjoy the park while making notes about my journey up to that point. Lovely park, anyway. I jotted down my expenses and the monorail and subways routes.

Next plan was to take a night shot of Petronas Twin Towers. While waiting for the lights to turn on, I went inside Suria KLCC.

Just like any other shopping centers in Jakarta, tempting it was. But I told myself that I still had a long way to go and Malaysia was not my main destination anyway.

I found a food court on the highest floor. Hahhh... that's better. I'm an adventure traveler, but not a adventure eater. Therefore, spend money on food only when it is a necessity. 

Various Asian cuisines could be found in the food court. From Thai food to Padang food. I took a careful look at every counter and finally settled on Mihoon Laksa.

Honestly speaking, the laksa in IES, my church, is far beyond comparison to this. I expected laksa in Malaysia to taste more original. I forced myself to finish every spoonful just for the sake of money. Meaning, not to waste money.

The laksa tasted even worse when I realized that the lady at the laksa counter didn't enter "laksa" in my receipt. She only entered "ice lemon tea". While waiting for my laksa to be fixed, I read a notice by the cash register which encouraged not to pay if not given a receipt. I thought I had the receipt in my hand already, so cared no more. No wonder, the lady pursued me to buy the ice lemon tea.

While struggling to finish every spoonful, I wondered why the sky outside seemed not to be getting dark at all. My watch said it was past six already. Weird, I thought. In Jakarta it's generally getting dark already by six.

Cling! Suddenly it occurred to me that Malaysia is GMT + 8:00 whereas Jakarta is GMT + 7:00. And yet, Kuala Lumpur is not that far apart. Hence the sun doesn't differ actually. 6:00 PM in Kuala Lumpur means 5:00 PM in Jakarta. No wonder the sky is still bright. Stupid.

Praise the Lord, the night sky was very clear. I shot this using my mobile phone camera while leaning on a tripod. The shot I did with my EOS 50D can be found here. Although I could not enter the sky bridge, I was happy enough to get these shots.

P.S.
While I made trial and error shots, I noticed a group of Indonesian young travelers. I am sure of that, because of their accent and the word "banget" they used. That's undoubtedly from Indonesia.

Back to the hotel, on a monorail again I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment