If Only Time Could Stand Still

Kuala Lumpur, September 18th 2010

We landed on LCCT at 4:35 AM. It took quite awhile before I could check out the airport. My 7 friends went in turns to the toilet. After one got out, another would say, "Oh, I think I would like to go to the toilet, too." The last one to wait took the longest.

I had 2 things in my itinerary: Petronas Tower and Kuala Lumpur Bird Park which my friends had the least interest for the last. Since the beginning they have planned to stay overnight in KL. So they went off to check in their luggage to their hotel and I went off to keep mine in LCCT's locker. Next was breakfast at Mary Brown. I had had breakfast here once and I just became fond of it.

Although I had been to Petronas Tower before, at that time I arrived after 5:00 PM and it was closed already. This time I arrived at 8:15 AM, and...
... there was long huge queue!
Probably I had been too late.

I hate queuing and I hate wasting time in one. So I took a taxi to KL Bird Park. I entered and the promotion... "World's Largest Free-flight Walk-in Aviary" was no cheat at all.
Here're some of the birds.
From left to right clockwise:
Cockatiel, Brown Lory, Yellow Indian Ringneck, Galah Cockatoo.

I arrived right after the feeding time of the parrots. How interesting it was for me to see their diet. Some were of the kinds I never knew birds would love to feed on.
Apparently, birds also know that an apple a day keeps the doctor away!
I can't imagine savoring on a single chili like this!
I wonder whether this bird house is made of coconut shell.
The birds really seemed to have fun popping in and out.

Let me tell you a story: 

Ms. W. Cockatoo met her new neighbour, Mr. B.G. Macaw. She stared at him form crest to claw. "Why are you so... colored?" she asked.

Mr. B.G. Macaw felt embarrassed for he realized how deeply colored he was.

Note:
W. Cockatoo = White Cockatoo
B.G. Macaw = Blue Gold Macaw

You might be like my mom who thinks owls are scary animals. But...

... the more species you see, the more you'll have to agree with me that owls can be cute and
cuddly.

So colorful! Don't you think so?

KL Bird Park did not serve my eyes only with birds, but also with a huge man-made waterfall which was almost just as beautiful as a natural waterfall.
Only having 2-3 hours of sleep in the plane, my feet started to sore and my tummy started to growl. I decided to give myself a big treat: Nasi Lemak!

 
Even though Hornbill Restaurant was air-conditioned, I needed something to chill myself: Es Teh Tarik!

After filling myself, I suddenly realized that this feast wasn't in my budget itinerary. I opened my purse and counted. No enough ringgits left to take me back to KL Sentral where I can catch an Aerobus to LCCT. The Aerobus is paid. But the taxi fare to KL Sentral?

Even while knowing that I didn't have enough cash left for the taxi fare, I paid my meal using cash instead of using a credit card. Stupid! Stupid!

At the parking lot there were many taxis from various companies, but all offered the same price: 15 ringgits, to KL Sentral. That's ridiculous! From KL Bird Park it should be closer to KL Sentral than to Petronas Tower and yet I have to pay more than the fare I paid for from Petronas Tower which was 9 ringgits.

I walked out KL Bird Park hoping to find other option of transportation. I found none. Instead, the hilly landscape made my feet sore worst. Now I am fearing of loosing my flight back to Jakarta. So I went back to the taxi station in KL Bird Park. I asked whether I could pay with US dollars.

"Sure," an Indian lady at the taxi counter answered me.

I knew I should be grateful for still having some dollars to pay my fare, but I kept regretting for being so stupid paying my meal with cash and moreover for paying more for a distance that's much closer.
Anyway, as I always know also, everything has a price. This taxi driver kindly gave me the information about the Hop On Hop Off Bus for tourist. He asked me where I came from and said that I should have stayed longer in KL, because there is much to see.

"Sure I will next time. I do wish to," I answered with all my heart. Sounded like an oath :P

"Are you Chinese?" All in a sudden he changed the topic.

"Yes, I am!"

"Bagaimana Indonesia itu? Orang Indonesia di sini saja merasa malu," said he in Malayan which meant "How about Indonesia? Even the Indonesians living here are embarrassed."

-----------------

I had picked up a seat on Air Asia hoping to catch the view of sunset from the window. However, the sky was cloudy and I couldn't get what I had expected.

Still, my money didn't go for nothing. Next to me sat 2 Indian boys, 6 and 8 years old. The younger bother was fat and looked so cute. I imagined him eating his older brother's portion of meal everyday and grew fat while his older brother stayed thin. They were both smart and polite. The elder brother, the one sitting right next to me accidentally knocked my camera with his elbow when he wanted to straighten his seat belt.

"I'm sorry," promptly he apologized without anyone telling him to say so.
The three of us had a wonderful chat. We talked about where we had been and where we lived. Apparently they lived in Jakarta not far from Mom's house and they said they love Jakarta very much. I asked them,

"Don't you think KL is much better than Jakarta? I love KL better than Jakarta."

Almost at the same time, they both said, "No, I love Jakarta." The elder one said that there's no such place like Kelapa Gading Mall in KL.

"But you are Chinese, aren't you?" said the elder brother.

"Yes, I am. My grandfather was born and grew up in China."

"Then that's like us. We are born in Jakarta, but we are Indians."

"Have you been to India?" I asked.

"Yes, we go to Mumbai once a year."

"But I don't like Mumbai," said the younger brother. His look was funny. Sort of "yaksss".

My mouth was just about to open to ask why, when his elder brother knocked him with his elbow, "No! Let's not talk about Mumbai!" His round big eyes grew bigger and rounder. You can imagine how the Indian eyes are. When they bug out, you'll probably do whatever requested. So did his younger brother. However, he obviously looked puzzled as if about to say, "Why? I thought you don't like Mumbai also."

I giggled to myself. His mother must be like my mother. Mom told me, "Never tell about the bad things of China."

When we were about to get out of the plane, I met their mother and said, "Your boys are very smart."

"Thank you. Yes, they are," she smiled proudly.

We parted and I wished the younger brother that his dream to become a pilot would come true. Who knows, I said, one day I will travel on his plane. His round chubby face broaden with a smile. His eyes were twinkling full with hope. I remember the times when I was his age and had dreams for my future. Always full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment